Your Ad could be here.
Donate to support DoTA forum and Launcher development.

Launcher...does nothing?

Here you can report bugs, errors and other issues with Launcher.
CelestineSongbow
NOOB
NOOB
Honor: 0
BDO: Witch

Launcher...does nothing?

Postby CelestineSongbow » Thu 2017.06.29, 08:51

Hi, call me rusty and an oldbie with computers now, because I am. Trying to get the launcher working, installed fine, I start it up and... absoutely... nothing... happens.

I'm running Windows 10 CU (I hate it, don't get me started) and I've checked Task Manager, etc. looking and haven't found a thing. It's like it does nothing. Any ideas here?

KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
Blood Mage
Blood Mage
Honor: 3102
BDO: Blader
Cabal: BL
Vindictus: Lann
C9: Blade Dancer
: Assassin Black Star Winged Devotion Dedication Heavy 1st 20 HR BDO JP Volunteer BDO KR Translator BDO JP Translator BDO RU Translator Black Spirit inside Black Spirit's Partner
Medals: 17

Re: Launcher...does nothing?

Postby KAMIKADzE » Thu 2017.06.29, 09:47

CelestineSongbow wrote:Hi, call me rusty and an oldbie with computers now, because I am. Trying to get the launcher working, installed fine, I start it up and... absoutely... nothing... happens.

I'm running Windows 10 CU (I hate it, don't get me started) and I've checked Task Manager, etc. looking and haven't found a thing. It's like it does nothing. Any ideas here?

Firstly try to check "...\Launcher\EvLog" folder, if there's any error file recorded, if there is then send it to me.
Secondly - did it ask you to install anything beside Launcher itself in the process of installation? If it did - try reinstalling, maybe it didn't install properly.
And lastly - check your antivirus, or other protection tool, in case it restricted installation of some of the files, in that case allow it and reinstall (apart of 3rd party tools all of the "important" Launcher files install in the Launcher folder).

LithStud
Creator
Creator
Druid
Druid
Honor: 20
BDO: Tamer
: BDO RU Translator
Medals: 1

Postby LithStud » Thu 2017.06.29, 10:15

CelestineSongbow wrote:Hi, call me rusty and an oldbie with computers now, because I am. Trying to get the launcher working, installed fine, I start it up and... absoutely... nothing... happens.

Run it as Administrator as well

CelestineSongbow
NOOB
NOOB

Postby CelestineSongbow » Mon 2017.07.03, 12:53

Got it to work, had to go in and muck around with Windows' features (and force it to have everything installed for .net framework) AND run the Launcher in Administrator.

Now I have a new problem. I am so braindead, apparently. The Launcher cannot find the "loc for Advanced patching". Also, the Overloaded zip I downloaded won't extract, but the error it's giving me is indicative that it is because the file is encrypted or password locked. I assume this is intentional so people won't mess it up when it needs to run through the launcher. How can I force the launcher to find it? Clearly I'm missing something here.

I will also double-check and make sure the silly thing installed properly. Because I let my kids use my computer, I have some seriously heavy duty restrictions on some stuff, plus I have Avast and it seems to overreact to <b>everything</b>.

And I reiterate I hate the latest update to Windows 10, after it installed I had to go back digging through changing settings back to the way they were (I have prefetch off, for instance, because I hate it and it hates me).

Oh, and thanks, I didn't expect replies much on here.

Also, I only play BDO now and then (I did mention kids, right?) but I speak and read Japanese passably. I actually _can_ play the game in Japanese, but it makes me feel stupid when I'm tired and it becomes way less fun... but if someone has questions about something they don't understand I may be able to answer.

KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
Blood Mage
Blood Mage
: Assassin Black Star Winged Devotion Dedication Heavy 1st 20 HR BDO JP Volunteer BDO KR Translator BDO JP Translator BDO RU Translator Black Spirit inside Black Spirit's Partner

Postby KAMIKADzE » Mon 2017.07.03, 20:14

CelestineSongbow wrote:Now I have a new problem. I am so braindead, apparently. The Launcher cannot find the "loc for Advanced patching". Also, the Overloaded zip I downloaded won't extract, but the error it's giving me is indicative that it is because the file is encrypted or password locked. I assume this is intentional so people won't mess it up when it needs to run through the launcher. How can I force the launcher to find it? Clearly I'm missing something here.

I will also double-check and make sure the silly thing installed properly. Because I let my kids use my computer, I have some seriously heavy duty restrictions on some stuff, plus I have Avast and it seems to overreact to <b>everything</b>.

Launcher cannot find loc because you haven't extracted it (e.g. it is inside Overloaded package).
As for the package extraction, most likely you're using outdated archiving program. Try out 7-zip, or any other up to date archiving program.
CelestineSongbow wrote:And I reiterate I hate the latest update to Windows 10, after it installed I had to go back digging through changing settings back to the way they were (I have prefetch off, for instance, because I hate it and it hates me).

Not using Windows 10 here, so can't help you with that =D
CelestineSongbow wrote:Oh, and thanks, I didn't expect replies much on here.

Also, I only play BDO now and then (I did mention kids, right?) but I speak and read Japanese passably. I actually _can_ play the game in Japanese, but it makes me feel stupid when I'm tired and it becomes way less fun... but if someone has questions about something they don't understand I may be able to answer.

Np, I reply as soon as possible (usually faster than this reply and in the past few days, just finished my 4-day long "offline" work, so I'll be online more often now).

Japanese translation is somewhat "Japanised"+flawed a little bit, but it's still quite noticeably better (more accurate) than EU/NA one =D so if I could read all of the Kanji+Hiragana+Katakana then I'd choose it instead of EU/NA. I miss my own patch *ONIONOH* hopefully PA will stop messing up patching ways for all of the clients one by one, so I'll finally get some time to convert it to Data v2.

CelestineSongbow
NOOB
NOOB

Postby CelestineSongbow » Tue 2017.07.04, 13:25

Would've replied sooner, but we figured it out and were having fun playing the game. =D

Actually, yes, my husband figured out the issue was the compression and got 7zip back. (He always said it was better anyway.) He reads less kanji than I do and playing in Japanese drives him nuts, so he was really driven to figure all this out.

I was discussing with my husband that I see flaws in both the English and Japanese language data... the same problems I see in localized games of any sort, that scream...

1) The translator is a good speaker of the languages involved (in this case, Korean to Japanese or English) but doesn't know enough about the game and/or gaming in general.
2) The translator is not a good speaker of the languages but does know enough about the game and/or gaming in general.
3) The translator is neither a good speaker of the languages involved, nor does he know enough about gaming.

Add the fact that there are multiple translators working on a project and they may not always be able to communicate, and it gets worse.

The most consistent, major problem I see generated by all this is simple: inconsistent translation of game terminology, so you're not really sure if something is the same or not (which is super bad when trying to figure out mechanical interactions). As I do translation work on a fairly regular basis, I understand how hard it is... but really game writing is technical writing and needs accuracy... badly. *VERYSAD*

Anyway, thanks again! I'm sure it'll all break all over again tomorrow and we'll be back to square one for a bit... will work from there.

KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
Blood Mage
Blood Mage

Postby KAMIKADzE » Tue 2017.07.04, 15:00

CelestineSongbow wrote:Would've replied sooner, but we figured it out and were having fun playing the game. =D

Actually, yes, my husband figured out the issue was the compression and got 7zip back. (He always said it was better anyway.) He reads less kanji than I do and playing in Japanese drives him nuts, so he was really driven to figure all this out.

I was discussing with my husband that I see flaws in both the English and Japanese language data... the same problems I see in localized games of any sort, that scream...

1) The translator is a good speaker of the languages involved (in this case, Korean to Japanese or English) but doesn't know enough about the game and/or gaming in general.
2) The translator is not a good speaker of the languages but does know enough about the game and/or gaming in general.
3) The translator is neither a good speaker of the languages involved, nor does he know enough about gaming.

Add the fact that there are multiple translators working on a project and they may not always be able to communicate, and it gets worse.

The most consistent, major problem I see generated by all this is simple: inconsistent translation of game terminology, so you're not really sure if something is the same or not (which is super bad when trying to figure out mechanical interactions). As I do translation work on a fairly regular basis, I understand how hard it is... but really game writing is technical writing and needs accuracy... badly. *VERYSAD*

Anyway, thanks again! I'm sure it'll all break all over again tomorrow and we'll be back to square one for a bit... will work from there.

5) Add the fact that this game started with a poor translation design, and moved to even worse design =D I'm sure they have some internal tool for translation, but even with a perfect tool it's still a bad design..., so I'm not surprised when I see obvious flaws in all of translations out there...even the original one has *ONIONFUCK*
As for the amount of translators, IDK how many of those each server has, but considering how fast game evolves - 2-3 full-time positions should be enough.

As for the terminology, it's also bad in original =D like for example:
[위자드] and [위저드] = [WZ], why? At least they look almost identical, but that will be even worse for those who translate from KR :D
or something like that:
치명타 확률 = 치명타 잠재력 = 치명타 피해 확률 = Critical Strike Chance
And with the long phrases, especially the cash shop items-related, it gets so complicated that they use 4-5 different ones which basically should be identical =D and you would think that hey it's enough of the variety, but no JP translators can add even more =D

Return to "Issues"