Your Ad could be here.
Donate to support DoTA forum and Launcher development.

Explaining class tags and naming

For BDO Patcher, Language patches, Mods, Projects.
KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
Blood Mage
Blood Mage
Honor: 3102
BDO: Blader
Cabal: BL
Vindictus: Lann
C9: Blade Dancer
: Assassin Black Star Winged Devotion Dedication Heavy 1st 20 HR BDO JP Volunteer BDO KR Translator BDO JP Translator BDO RU Translator Black Spirit inside Black Spirit's Partner
Medals: 17

Explaining class tags and naming

Postby KAMIKADzE » Sat 2016.10.22, 14:26

I've been asked a couple of times about why I use such class tags, what they mean and how it is actually in original KR.

Let's start with existing names of all the classes (this should be pretty self-explanatory):
  • Warrior / Fighter
  • Ranger / Archer
  • Sorceress / Sorcerer / Witch
  • Giant / Berserker / Barbarian / Predator
  • Tamer / Little Summoner / Beast Master / Mystic / Ditch embargo / Trang embargo
  • Blader / Musa / Ronin / Samurai / Blade Master / Blader Master / Master of the blade / Sword master
  • Valkyrie
  • Plum / Maehwa / Tsubaki / Camellia / Female Blader / F.Blader / Blade Master Woman / Blade Master Women / Blader Master Woman / Blader Master Women / Blader Woman / Blader Women
  • Wizard / Gandalf / Magician
  • Witch / Enchantress / Wizard Woman / Wizard Women
  • Kunoichi / Ninja Woman / Ninja Women
  • Ninja / Ninja Man
  • Dark Elf / Elf

Now let's look at how they're called in KR and JP versions:
KR:
  • Originally - Fighter, later renamed to Warrior. You can still find it being referred as a Fighter in old stuff behind the scenes.
  • Ranger
  • Sorceress (You can actually translate it as a Sorcerer as well, moreover most of the time devs call it so behind the scenes, but even devs themselves translate it as a Sorceress)
  • Giant
  • Tamer is kinda hard to translate, but originally devs translated it as Tamer, and so it is called behind the scenes up to this day. For some reason later on they decided to translate it as a Beast Master.
  • Blader is translated by devs as Blader, in Korean it is Musa, and behind the scenes it is Blader, Blade Master or Blader Master.
  • Valkyrie
  • Plum is translated by devs as F.Blader or Female Blader, in Korean it is called Maehwa but is actually translated as Plum, behind the scenes it is a complete mess with references to Plum and Blade Master Woman, Blade Master Women, Blader Master Woman, Blader Master Women, Blader Woman, Blader Women.
  • Wizard
  • Witch is translated and called everywhere Witch, but sometimes behind the scenes it is Wizard Woman or Wizard Women.
  • Kunoichi is translated and called everywhere Kunoichi, but sometimes behind the scenes it is Ninja Woman or Ninja Women.
  • Ninja is translated and called everywhere Ninja, but behind the scenes it is half-time referred as Ninja Man.
  • Dark Elf

JP:
  • Warrior
  • Ranger
  • Sorceress
  • Giant
  • Little Summoner
  • Blader
  • Valkyrie
  • Camellia (Called Tsubaki in Japanese)
  • Wizard
  • Witch
  • Kunoichi
  • Ninja
  • Dark Elf is untranslated currently

In my patches they're called:
  • Warrior
  • Ranger
  • Sorceress
  • Giant
  • Tamer
  • Blader
  • Valkyrie
  • Plum
  • Wizard
  • Witch
  • Kunoichi
  • Ninja
  • Dark Elf
I went down this road since I wanted to be closer to the original KR.

Now as for the tags:
KR = JP
  • [워리어] = [WR]
  • [레인저] = [RG]
  • [소서러] = [SR]
  • [자이언트] = [GA]
  • [금수랑] = [LS]
  • [무사] = [BD]
  • [발키리] = [VK]
  • [매화] = [TB]
  • [위자드] and [위저드] = [WZ]
  • [위치] = [WT]
  • [쿠노이치] = [KN]
  • [닌자] = [NJ]
As you can tell in KR they're referred by the full name of the class, since in KR it is a couple of characters anyway.
In JP they're referred by the shortened JP name in English letters (pretty obvious).
The only difference is that Tamer is referred as [LS] (because Little Summoner in JP) and Plum as [TB] (because Tsubaki in JP).

Since I play on JP server and most of those who uses my patch are playing on JP as well, in KAMI JP I use Japanese shortenings, just because for example it will be easier to understand about which class costume Japanese players are talking about in the chat (e.g. you can't translate [LS] to [TM], [TB] to [PL] and vice versa, without some knowledge of the game simply by using some online translation). Yeah you could say that on the other hand I actually harden it for newbies as they won't get why [LS] = Tamer and [TB] = Plum, but hey that's my personal preference, of course I could change them to Little Summoner and Tsubaki or [TM] and [PL], just for the sake of understandability for newbies, but that's how it went, maybe I'll change that in the future who knows...(for example you're free to create a poll with this question and whatever type of tags/naming that you like + current ones, if only I'm fine with this one then I'll change it to whatever that you'll suggest, maybe I'll even roll such poll sometime later myself).

Return to "Translation discussion"