Your Ad could be here.
Donate to support DoTA forum and Launcher development.

Recommendation to install Windows MS17-010 patch

KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
Blood Mage
Blood Mage
Honor: 3102
BDO: Blader
Cabal: BL
Vindictus: Lann
C9: Blade Dancer
: Assassin Black Star Winged Devotion Dedication Heavy 1st 20 HR BDO JP Volunteer BDO KR Translator BDO JP Translator BDO RU Translator Black Spirit inside Black Spirit's Partner
Medals: 17

Recommendation to install Windows MS17-010 patch

Postby KAMIKADzE » Sat 2017.05.13, 23:30

Decided to post this thread for those living under the rock, because I'm sure there are many of those even on our forum.
Long story short - a while ago US NSA has leaked various "proprietary US gov haxors" tools, malware and other stuff that they used to hack various machines. Obviously that didn't went unnoticed by haxors around the globe and now we have quite a few more viruses and stuff out there. Some of those viruses/malware use hole in Windows PC <-> Windows PC communication (mainly using the LAN) to spread itself - MS17-010 patch should cover that hole (MS added updates for those issues when they went public, NSA had no intent to help MS patch their holes, even though they knew it, so they could use Windows holes for their shady actions, which ended up with loads of affected Windows machines when they leaked their haxors stuff). Usually I don't recommend to install every single Windows update (there are quite a few of those that I would advise to uninstall, so no wonder *ROFL*), but this one is worth mentioning, since the only thing that could protect you from malicious attack over the network with this hole is a well-configured firewall. Especially recommended for those who use shared/public VPNs, remote connections or have LAN-based provider.
You can download that update through MS17-010 page (clickidy-clack on your Windows version there to find the proper KB update for your Windows), or find the relevant KB number in Windows update if it shows there.

After the installation of this patch I haven't found any suspicious activity from Windows, that Microsoft tries to push with lots of their updates for like 2 years now? =D
The only thing - it triggered the ngen v2, so I recommend to execute it for overall Windows performance benefit. You might as well try if it triggered your ngen v4 (if you have it on your machine), cause who knows what they have prepared for different Windows versions.
For those who don't know how to execute or what I meant by that - run that in cmd.exe:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe executequeueditems
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executequeueditems
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe executequeueditems
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executequeueditems

Also as a reminder - remember to be cautious online, don't run executables send to you by mail and stuff =D, even if you have a perfect protection - it won't save you from your own stupidity or inattentiveness.

Magano
Wisp
Wisp
Honor: 1

Re: Recommendation to install Windows MS17-010 patch

Postby Magano » Sun 2017.05.14, 18:35

This is to prevent that worm that news are buzzing about right?
Last edited by Magano on Sun 2017.05.14, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
KAMIKADzE
Blood Mage
Blood Mage
Honor: 3102
BDO: Blader
Cabal: BL
Vindictus: Lann
C9: Blade Dancer
: Assassin Black Star Winged Devotion Dedication Heavy 1st 20 HR BDO JP Volunteer BDO KR Translator BDO JP Translator BDO RU Translator Black Spirit inside Black Spirit's Partner
Medals: 17

Re: Recommendation to install Windows MS17-010 patch

Postby KAMIKADzE » Sun 2017.05.14, 18:42

Magano wrote:This is to prevent that worm that new are buzzing about right?

Yes and No.
Basically this patch cover the hole that might be used by various programs created by NSA as well as their derivatives and even some completely new ones.
I'm guessing you refer to WannCry worm clone (if you meant news, not new), which does use this hole to spread itself, but you might also get it via mail, infected USB stick, etc. etc., basically just like anything else.
Installing this update doesn't guarantee you that you won't ever get yourself that worm or any other virus/malware, it only covers one of the ways this worm or any other crap can get onto your PC.

Return to "Software"